Here are some ideas on what to discuss with your contractor before remodeling
I’m sure you have heard of some remodeling horror stories. Jobs left unfinished, contractors not showing up, workers leaving a mess. Prior to any remodeling or construction job it’s a good idea to talk with your contractor to alleviate any issues and to create an open line of communication for your project. You need to be on the same page from the beginning to the end of the project. It is important to have honest and open discussion before during and upon completion of your project. If your job requires plumbers, electricians or other services, be sure to also include them on the discussion as well. When you communicate and discuss expectations your project will run more efficiently and effectively.
You may think that you have no control over schedule but that is not always the case. Delays due to weather, shipping issues or any other problem may crop up that you can’t easily prevent but some pieces you do have control. Be sure to get back to your contractor in a timely manner when decisions need to be made. The ordering and scheduling can’t take place until design decisions are made.
Here are the questions and topics you should discuss with your contractor before your next remodeling project:
- How long will the project take?
- How can you help with delays?
- What do I need to do to prepare my home?
- How will construction dust and debris be kept to a minimum?
- How will construction debris and garbage be stored/removed?
- Daily and end of project clean up expectations
- Are there any fumes or chemicals to be concerned about?
- Where will crew set up?
- Will tools be left out daily?
- Let them know if bathroom facilities will be available
- Do you need to leave the home for an extended period of time? How long?
- What are the typical hours the workers will be in your home?
- What are my payment options?
- What is the best way to handle any issues that may arise during construction?
When you and your contractor are on the same page and have open communication throughout the project, you mind will be more at ease. Remodeling can be stressful but when you hire a professional contractor who has years of experience and an open line of communication, it can run smoothly.